The 2nd Arab Forum for Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency
“Enhancing the Role of Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) in Promoting Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency”
18-19 June 2014
El Gouna, Egypt
After successfully holding the first forum in 2012, The League of Arab States (LAS) in cooperation with the Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia (ESCWA),the Regional Center for Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency (RCREEE), The EU-funded project Energy Efficiency in the Construction Sector in the Mediterranean (MED-ENEC) and with the support of the Ministry of Electricity and Renewable Energy – Egypt and the European Commission in Egypt are jointly organizing the 2nd Arab Forum for Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency.
The forum is planned to take place on 18th and 19th of June, 2014 in El Gouna, Egypt . The forum is held under the patronage of H.E. the Secretary General of the Arab League, Dr. Nabil El-Arabi and H.E. The Minister of Electricity and Renewable Energy in Egypt.
This year, the forum introduces the theme of “Enhancing the Role of Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) in Promoting Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency “. The forum explores the role that SMEs can play in sustainable energy development in the Arab region. It examines the technical, institutional, financial and legislative instruments that can encourage the engagement of SMEs in these fields. The Focus on SMEs stems from their ability to offer a unique opportunity to tap on the available resources and attract potential investments from private sector to develop and enhance RE and EE markets and create jobs.
The Forum also intends to provide a platform for dialogue among various stakeholders including policy makers, international and regional experts in sustainable energy and green economy fields, , SMEs, professional associations, technology suppliers, financial institutions and other relevant stakeholders. The objective is to exchange experience and identify potential cooperation opportunities.
The proposed forum topics are as follows:
- The role of SMEs in the energy transition in the Arab region through national activities and regional cooperation
- Legislative and institutional frameworks required to activate the role of SMEs in spreading RE and EE for sustainable development in the Arab region
- The Role of SMEs in promoting RE and EE technologies appropriate to rural development in the Arab region
- Potentials and challenges facing SMEs in playing a key role in RE and EE activities in the Arab region particularly in rural areas. This includes job creation and R&D contributions to green technologies
- Possible financing schemes for SMEs in the implementation of EE and RE programmes and activities in the Arab region
- Success stories and lessons learned:
- Examples and experience of SMEs working in EE and RE fields in the Arab region
- Examples of professional associations and networks supporting SMEs working on green technologies with a special focus on ESCOs
For more information about 2014 Forum you can download: 2014 Info Note. Or 2014 Forum Booklet